.. Loading ..

Filing a Nursing Home Complaint

You can take action if your loved one has been the victim of abuse or neglect while under the care of a nursing home.    First, you can file a nursing home complaint with the Indiana State Department of Health.  You can also hold the nursing home accountable by filing a civil complaint against the nursing home.  Below we list warning signs that often justify the filing of a nursing home complaint.

Signs of Neglect or Abuse

To no one’s surprise, nursing homes often fail to report neglect or abuse that occurs within their facilities.  Patients are often unable to adequately report or communicate that they have been neglected or abused.  Therefore, it is crucial that family members be diligent in observing and recognizing any signs of neglect or abuse.    The following list of warning signs often justify filing a nursing home complaint and further investigation:

  • appearance of pressure sores (also known as “bedsores”, “pressure ulcers”, and “decubitus ulcers”)
  • skin rash
  • urine and/or feces odor
  • lack of attention to the resident’s personal hygiene
  • falls as a result of inadequate precautions or assistance
  • the presence of unjustified physical or chemical restraints
  • bruises, contusions, or lesions
  • bone fractures
  • weight loss
  • dehydration
  • unexplained mood changes
  • disorientation
  • depression or isolation
  • fear or anxiety
  • unexplained refusal or inability to communicate
  • indications of sexual assault

These are just examples, as neglect and abuse can take many forms — too numerous to list.  If you have any suspicions or concerns, you should consider seeking assistance in filing a nursing home complaint.

Filing a Nursing Home Complaint With The ISDH

One option is to report the suspected neglect to the Indiana State Department of Health.  The Indiana State Department of Health is required to investigate complaints of nursing home abuse or neglect.  These reports can be filed anonymously by anyone, whether related to the patient or not.  The state investigators will gather evidence bearing upon the complaint against the nursing home, often reviewing records and interviewing personnel at the facility.  If the complaint is found to be substantiated, the facility may have to submit a plan to the State explaining how they intend to correct the problem.  If you would like assistance with filing a complaint with the Indiana State Department of Health, you may call our office at 877-769-5377.  We would be glad to help, free of charge.

Filing a Civil Complaint Against the Nursing Home

Filing a nursing home complaint with the ISDH may help shed light on the facility problem and force the nursing home to promise to correct the problem; however, this step alone may not bring the accountability you seek from those responsible for the harm to your loved one.

Therefore, in addition to filing a nursing home complaint with the ISDH, you may also be able to file a civil complaint in court seeking to hold the negligent nursing home fully accountability for the neglect or abuse.   If you would like more information, the Powless Law Firm, P.C. would like to help you.

Free Case Evaluation

You can request a free case consultation today by:

  • calling 877-769-5377, or
  •  by submitting the free case consultation request form on this page.

Here is important information you should know about us:

  • We concentrate upon nursing home neglect and medical malpractice claims, and have years of experience and success in doing so.
  • We never represent the negligent , nursing homes, hospitals, healthcare providers or their insurers.
  • We offer free consultations.
  • We never require any retainer fee.
  • We accept cases on a contingency basis, meaning we only get paid if we obtain a recovery for you.
  • We work with a variety of highly qualified medical experts to thoroughly evaluate and present our cases.
  • We are committed to providing the attention and resources required in these complex cases to help make a difference for those harmed by medical malpractice, and to help force changes that will help protect others.
(Visited 164 times, 1 visits today)
Schedule a Callback

Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to receive a callback for a free and confidential initial consultation.

By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Powless Law Firm, P.C.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.